Friday, January 9, 2009

Godfather - 51

It was 21st May 2007. I was waiting for Air India flight to Newjersey via Mumbai, at Bangalore airport. Flight was delayed by more than an hour. It was half passed twelve night. I got a mug of coffee (CCD coffee its like Starbucks of India) and seated myself at the corner in the waiting hall. Taking first sip the CDD I thought Cool ..not too bad. I started my ipod shuffle


Din Dhal jaaye
raat na aaye,
tu to na aaye
teri yaad sataaye...
wow what a soothing melody ....I started reading the only novel i had "the godfather", i was through with 50 pages in my journey from US to Ind. Before reading first line in 51st page of Godfather, just took a lazy look around. Big share of crowd were Desi(Indian) and few Pardesis (Foreigners). I could overhear folks around lobby discussing on IT industries, clients, customers, process, deadline, accounts blah blah ....of course its IT capital of India and such words are bound to be heard or overheard. Few were speaking on cell phone, some were watching the TV , most of them were sleeping. Couple of them fogging the spectacles with breath(cleaning) and rest were reading either magazines or novels or in deep world of thinking.
From the outlook though i was reading book, listening to ipod and drinking coffee as well, but my mind going through every frames of moments i had spent in last one month during my vacation in India. Time spent with family and friends, long night outs, Goa trip, Parties, Marriages.... It was awesome. Though it was hectic filled with lots of t of travelling but it was wonderful. Before all the frames of every moments could complete announcement came for boarding the flight. I boarded the flight.
Loud announcement of the flight crew woke me up in middle of deep nap. Flight was in Mumbai already. Once done with security check n other formalities, seated myself in comfortable place waiting for connecting flight to NJ. And back to my stuff.

The godfather-Page 51. Number playing my shuffle was
"tere bina jindagii se koyee shikawa to nahee,
shikhwa naheee,
shikhawaaa nahe"


I just took a lazy look around before i start the novel. Airport was full packed at early in the morning 4.30am. I could hear pieces of Marathi,Hindi and Gujarathi. I somehow felt all of them going to Newjersey. I could see young gal sitting in front row. She was depressed, dull and sleepy. She looked like as if she is in deep thinking of her own. I guessed, she must be going to US for her MS and since its first time away from home she must be pretty sad and depressed. "Oh Jee" how ridiculous is it to make a story just at one glance at her face, i thought chuckled and chuckled at my stupidity.
Within just few minutes announcement made and connecting flight delayed for some 3 hours. And i guess they announced something about the breakfast arrangements which i couldn't hear completely. I was heading towards counter to enquire about same and found thatMS girl on the way ... lol :-). She told breakfast arranged for passengers to NJ in breakfast hall. We both started heading towards direction of breakfast hall. I was surprised at myself they way i started conversation myself. 9 out of 10 times i would not have talked to girl on my own. Not at good such stuff you know :-). Our conversation started.

"Any idea where exactly is this breakfast hall" I asked.
"dont know. I have no idea .." she said.
" I am going to NJ" i said. She told she too going to Dallas.
"You going to US your studies- MS?" I asked confidently as if i am 100% sure .
She told "No, I work there". I was stunned- how could my guess go wrong.
"I also work there. You going first time?" I asked with sure assumption she is going for first time. "No, going back after vacation" she told. Again wrong guess.
"Me too, going back after a month of vacation".

After discussion I realised We both are returning back to work after vacation, are employed in Indian IT compenies, work for clients in US, we are from same state blah blah ....

We had breakfast and came to waiting hall.
Back to my stuff

God father- Page 51,
"Yeh shyaam mastaani...
Madhosh kiye jaay"
again i was thinking in mind how did I assumed so confidently that she is doing MS, she is going to US for first time etc etc... and chuckled again. Heck...Why am I stuck at Godfather-51


10 comments:

Guddu said...

thats cool... nice one... actually u have a wonderful taste for songs dude... carry on... :)

Ishwar Jakkali said...

Thanks ...Best part of the story is ..I lost godfather book in flight..i am stuckt at page 51 forever...Dint get a chance to finish it off yet :-)

Anonymous said...

not sure who started the conversation. you can't be the one to start. and and that lazy look.....was more like checking out the hotties. And the book only to......

Ishwar Jakkali said...

You bowled me plumb. You got it right. But I am the one who started it.

MD said...

machaaa
simply sooperb kaNlaaa.
I can believe all cock and bull stories. But i cant believe that you talked to the girl first.
Dont shy away be honest dude.

And Sir, you have cool writing skills (which i know earlier too)..but making Prabhanda out of some incident you have mastered it.
Awaiting for your NEXT

Prasanna Mumbai said...

Dude,
i know ppl remembering Day/Date/Time/Place ....to some extent some songs when they meet a girl. God Damn it, You are the most unconventional of all who remembers the Page number(that too i know how good you are at remembering).....heheheheh. Hope you start off with PAGE 51 all again soon till the Happy ending[:)]

Bhavin Patel said...

Yennappa Rajkumaraa, I know what happened after reaching to NJ!!

Ishwar Jakkali said...

Thanks Rafi,Pachu and Bhavin for visiting the page.

@MD- next one in the queue :)

@Pachay- Ham honge kaamyaab, honge kaamyaab ek din ...dont know when is that EK DIN and when i finish it off ...

@bhavin- now u knw story reaching to NJ

Anonymous said...

interesting read! reminds me of a Godfather incident I had with ur friend ..not too long back!

Manasa said...

I am getting severe neck pain still not stoping to read your posts.... but for today it's enough.

Cheers
Good night
Manasa